Teens attain puberty the androgens also called male sex hormones which is produced in high number leading to sebaceous glands becoming over active which results in sebum being produced in high proportions.
Sebum oil is produced by sebaceous glands which travel to the skin surface through hair follicles. But skin cells block the follicles which results in oil also being blocked. When these hair follicles are blocked it results in the development of skin bacteria, it turn into inswelling of the skin called Acne.
Causes of Acne
There can be various causes of Acne.
1. Rising hormone levels due to puberty
2. Intake of drugs which contain lithium, barbiturates and corticosteroids also can causes of acne
3. Acne can also be caused due to excess grease and oil in the scalp, due to cooking oil and use of some cosmetics can actually alleviate the acne problem
4. Acne problem is worsened if the pimples are squeezed or scrubbed too hard.
Acne can form at any place on the body but they most commonly form in the areas where the sebaceous glands are present in high proportions such as face, chest, shoulders, neck and upper back.
Some of the treatments for Acne
The primary goal of the acne treatment is to reduce scars and better appearance. There are various treatments and the doctor decides which specific treatment you need based on :
1. The extent of acne problem
2. Age, medical history and overall health
3. Tolerance to specific medications and procedures
4. Expectations and what patients prefer
Treatment of acne is classified into topical and systemic drug therapies which are given based on extent of severity. In some instances the combination of both methods might be the way to go for acne treatment.
1. Benzoyl Peroxide which kills the Propionibacterium Acnes bacteri
2. Antibiotics helps in stopping or slowing down the growth of the bacteria and also reduces inflammation.
3. Tretinoin helps in stopping the formation of new acne lesions
Systemic drug therapies involve prescription of systemic antibiotics primarily for the treatment of acne problem which is moderate to severe in nature.
In some cases an oral drug called Isotretinoin is prescribed for teenagers with severe acne problem which shrinks down the sebaceous glands that produce oil.
The results are pretty good and almost 90% of the teenager have success with this oral drug. But the drug has some serious side-affects and thus it is very important that one consults a doctor before use.====================================================================